Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Top 5 Sources of News & Information


1/12/2022


Top 5 Sources of News and Information

Living in this age of technology, local news and news from around the world is so easily accessible, it is at our fingertips. The five examples I have listed below are the channels in which I get most of my news. I utilize at least one of these sources everyday. 



As a teenager growing up in the 21st century, it feels odd to watch the nightly news. I grew up with the abc Nightly News on every single night in my house. It is such a staple to the Murphy family that I vividly remember coming home from dance, or tennis, or basketball and it playing on the TV. I have watched this program switch hosts over the years and have followed the stories it puts out too. Most news outlets take a side when it comes to politics, but I think that abc does a good job of not swaying to either side. They also cover world news, instead of just focusing on the US. 






Using Instagram as a source of news may seem a bit ridiculous, but I have seen posts about topics that have not reached the main stream news channels yet. The way I found out about Betty White passing was a story one of my friends posted on her Insta story. It may not always be the most accurate channel to rely on for all your news, because many people only post or repost one side of a larger issue. Using this app everyday helps me stay informed on many topics and helps me get my news faster than the stations. 




Just like Instagram, using Snapchat to get your news seems strange. I have found that Snapchat serves as a collecting place for quite a few media outlets. Some of those include The Daily Mail, People Magazine, and NBC News Stay Tuned. While these three outlets are extremely different and report on a diverse range of topics, having them accessible through Snapchat is extremely convenient. 




Similar to both Instagram and Snapchat, TikTok is another social media platform where I get news from. Of the three sources for news I mentioned above TikTok, this one might be the most controversial. This app is known for spreading misinformation and causing confusion in many situations. I do not rely on this app to get important news, but often times my FYP is filled with the recent "tea" on celebrities and influencers. 




My final source in which I get my news is YouTube. It is, yet again, another social media platform. Just like TikTok, I mostly use YouTube to catch up on celebrities and influencers. And similar to other social media apps, there is an insane amount of bias and misinformation on this platform, so I try to stay away from videos on world news from unknown or biased channels. YouTube can be a good source, even with the misinformation, often times new outlets will post their interviews and even whole episodes to this site if you want to rewatch it or missed when it aired live. 


As a product of my own generation, I get most of my news online. It is accessible and easy for me to understand. News will never go away, but the way that we consume it will constantly change! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Relationship With Technology

  03/09/2022 My Relationship With Technology  Growing up in this incredible age of technology, I am constantly examining the role technology...