Sunday, February 6, 2022

Silencing Anti-War Voices

 2/6/2022


Silencing Anti-War Voices

War is something that I have grown up with my entire life, the Global War on Terror started before I was even born. I have seen the news, watched movies, read books, and studied all of the wars America has been involved my whole life. But something that I did not learn in school, was Anti-War voices. Other than the hippies during Vietnam, history makes it seems like all of America is armed and at the ready when it comes getting involved in world conflicts. Now obviously not every single American is Pro-War, but you definitely hear their voices louder than the Anti-War ones. 

I would have to agree with the fact that as Americans, we hear more Pro-War voices, than the ones against it. As of late, Russia appears to be planning an invasion on Ukraine. A conflict of this proportion could send us into World War III, which is seriously the last thing we need. Many news outlets are reporting on this issue as if they have already accepted the fact that the world is being thrown into this massive conflict, and not reporting on ways to possibly prevent this catastrophic event from happening. 

Anti-War voices are being silenced right this very instant because they do not make it into mainstream news. I believe this is the case because the cost of war is so high. It is so incredibly expensive to go to war, but war can also be incredibly lucrative. Therefore, when news outlets report on war, they make more money because the ones paying for the war are going to want to watch the news about it. I had never heard of Antiwar.com or The American Conservative before having to read them for this class. The people writing on these websites are incredibly intelligent and share some very important views on how to handle not going to war. Because of the censorship of news outlets, unfortunately, Anti-War voices get lost in all the panic that Pro-War voices cause, making it difficult to find these obscure websites. They have important ideas that need to be shared with mainstream media, to prove that war is not the answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Relationship With Technology

  03/09/2022 My Relationship With Technology  Growing up in this incredible age of technology, I am constantly examining the role technology...